PADA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:59:27 am
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the PADA Forums :-)

Back to PADA
7770 Posts in 1991 Topics by 22829 Members
Latest Member: Taylor Neuman
* Home Help Search Login Register
PADA Forum  |  leagues & pickup  |  Winter  |  Topic: winter league rules « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: winter league rules  (Read 60346 times)
tjohnson
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:46 pm »

Info captains received from the coordinators.  Or at least my captain received:

WL playoffs will take place over the course of a week and a half of games, culminating in a day of finals play. We are in the process of figuring out the details of who plays when and how everything works. What I can tell you for now are the dates:

- Th last day of regular season play is Wednesday, Feb 24th.
- Playoffs will start Thursday, Feb 25th and follow the same time schedule as the regular season (2 games on weekdays, 4 games on Sunday, same time slots).
- The last day of playoffs will be Thursday, March 4th.
- Finals will be on Saturday, March 6th.

Playoffs games will all be at Ampro (the place we're at now). Finals will be at Tristate.

padagentile
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:13 am »

I skimmed through here and didn't see an answer to my question.  I've seen several contested stalls and the restart coming in with "stalling 4".

Seems to me, it should be "stalling 5".  Somebody got the real answer (I'm looking at you Peters)

Spread the word after we get the truth.

Mike G
APeters
Allowed To Post
Competitive Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »

Just like regular ultimate, where the stall is 10, and you come in at "Stalling8," in winter league the stall is 6, and you come in at "Stalling4."

The WL rules are here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xtkTQdMbjl9o577c2hV5HV63aYuFkL7qLSV6w_BFtsg/edit?hl=en&authkey=COTOi7kH#
APeters
Allowed To Post
Competitive Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »

The timer does not stop for an injury.  I'm really not sure why every player on the field turns to the timekeeper and yells "stop the clock!" when someone gets injured, we have the fields for a set amount of time, and that doesn't increase because someone got hurt.

From the rules:

"The clock does not stop at any time during the quarter, except for a timeout."

"Games must start at their scheduled time and end 55 minutes later (4 12-minute quarters, 1 minute between each quarter and two 1-minute timeouts per team per game). No exceptions. "

"if there is an prolonged argument or injury in the 4th quarter of a tight game, it is important that the timekeeper feel comfortable keeping the time running, even if that is against the wishes of the teams playing."
aznjeff
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:22 am »

Now that it's near the end of the season, Let's revisit the 6 second stall count discussion that frequently came up in this thread earlier in the year.

The first couple games I played in, I also noticed a lot of stalls and fast counts. I think people were still getting used to the lower stall count. Now that it's later in the season, I don't see as many stalls in my games and I think people have become used to dumping earlier and moving the disc around.

Maybe we can send out another survey to ask people whether 6 or 8 seconds is preferred. However, I also want to point out again that other small field Ultimate formats (Wildwood) use a 6 second stall.

Thoughts?
-Jeff
knappy
Allowed To Post
Super Hero Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:22 am »

I now like the shorter stall count. downside: I think some players count WAY too fast & most throwers do not think quickly enough to call fast count. (had someone call a stall on me the other night when he went 5-6-stall all in one breath.)

That all being said, the quick pace is very exciting & the shorter stall favors the defense, which I think makes for a better game.

So, color me converted.

Ultimate ruined my life
jfbrose1
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:15 am »

Just re-read the Winter League rules posted here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xtkTQdMbjl9o577c2hV5HV63aYuFkL7qLSV6w_BFtsg/edit?hl=en&authkey=COTOi7kH#.  I assume we are playing by the same rules this year.  Two things popped out at me that have come up in my games.  First, after contested stall, comes in at "stalling 4". 

Second, if there's a defensive foul in last 20 seconds, clock is reset to 20 seconds.  I think this should be expanded to a defensive "call".  For example, tie game, other team has disc, 15 seconds left, I call travel, or pick, or foul on offense.  Under current rules, clock will continue to run while we reset.  Clock should stop and be reset for any defensive call in last 20 seconds.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:05:11 am by jfbrose1 » Logged
Bulb
Administrator
Elite Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 01:31:33 pm »

I like the idea of stopping the clock for ANY call in the last 20 seconds.  Otherwise it is easy for a team to call pick and prevent the opponent from scoring.
Fantusta
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »

I agree 100%.  I felt bad not stopping it in a similar instance a few weeks ago but decided to go by the letter of the rules (shocking no one who knows me).  I'm sure there are a couple instances of possible nefarious uses of such a change, but I'm also pretty sure it would do more good than harm.

Vanni
vincentmccrink
Administrator
Casual Club Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:19 am »

Stalling to 6 in WL is an excellent relief from playing 4+ seasonal leagues of PADA at Stall 10 (which most WL players do). Stall 8 or even 7 still supports Stall 10 tactics.

V
kgolrick1
Allowed To Post
Competitive League Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:39 am »

I think stopping in the last 20 seconds for everything could be a hassle for the timekeeper especially in a tightly contested chippy game where a team is only down 1 and needs the disc back.
jfbrose1
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Keg, I gotta disagree with you on this, especially if it's the only reason not to stop clock for all violations (I'll join Bulb in expanding my plea).  Scorekeeping is a pretty simple task (once you get there).  If you have to stop the clock and reset it a couple times, I don't think that would be too onerous, nor would that onerousity outweigh the value.
Clayton1
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »

I am fine with the 20 second rule if the call happened with 20+ seconds to go.

And I am ok with stopping clock.

An incident happened in January which doesn't make sense to me and I would like the rules folks to explain the rationale as it would be a shame if this happened in the Finals.

Basically a defensive foul is called with about 2 seconds to go on my teammate who is on offense in our endzone. We were up by 1pt. The call is disputed for awhile and then the 20 second rule is explained. My teammate is convinced that there is no goal and the other team gets the disc. I am not clear about this but my concern is this.

The result was instead of the other team having 2 seconds to go to the other end of the field and score, they were given 20 seconds to score?
Regardless of the call or the contest or whatever ... Why are you able to GAIN 18 seconds for making a call?

If Brose and I had started an argument with 20 seconds to go and by the time we worked it out the time ran out. Than I understand getting the 20 seconds back. But why be able to gain time for making a call?

In a separate incident, I was watching a game and a defender was down by three points and intentionally fouled the thrower in order to gain time (20 seconds ... I guess he was trying to provoke a retaliation and then was planning to call a defensive foul) Thanks to the 20 second rule, the ploy could have worked to gain more time.

Luckily the thrower didn't fall for it and time expired.

Seems like a very odd rule.
jfbrose1
Allowed To Post
Casual Club Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »

I think that rule should also be amended.  If there is less than 10 seconds left when the call is made it should go to 10, not 20.
saltzie1
Allowed To Post
Casual League Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »

It's  an interesting rule.

One the one hand, it gives the defender a very strong incentive NOT to foul in the last 10 seconds.  That's a good thing.  We had this exact situation in the first half of my game last night where a teammate of mine committed a pretty dumb defensive foul on a thrower.  We all learned.

On the other hand - let's say there's 3 seconds left and my teammate throws a huck.  The offensive player should be MUCH more likely to call a foul, seeing as though the worst thing that happens is a Contest and their offense gains another 17 seconds to work the disc.  I definitely see Clayton's point. 

Not sure if it makes sense to simply stop the clock and add 3 seconds...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
PADA Forum  |  leagues & pickup  |  Winter  |  Topic: winter league rules « previous next »
Jump to: